Thursday, September 19, 2013

That one crazy week I want to forget

Part 1 
Moving

Travis's family came to see him graduate, and ya know, since they were here and everything, we so happened to have a moving truck available that weekend, and ya know, extra cleaning rags and brooms. 

They were amazing.

They went above and beyond.

The Riverside town homes runs a tight ship when it comes to moving out. Most people get charged for the wackiest things, but we hardly got charged for anything because these people worked their tails off!

Thank you Mumu

Thank you Charly

Thank you Unca Wes

Thank you Tater

Thank you Kevin (don't let this picture fool you, he never rested)

And most of all, thank you Grandpa John. He literally broke his back helping us. What a great man!

This was our last day in Riverside




And off we rode into the sun

Part II
The Plan

We had the absolute perfect plan on how to conduct this move. Mumu would fly the girls to Utah where my mom and she would trade off watching the girls for the week. Travis, Papa John and I would then drive the moving truck and van to Arizona and unpack for a week, kidless.

Ideal if you ask me.

But this is what actually happened.

We had a pretty smooth ride to Arizona, minus the fact that not two minutes after we left, we were held up at the QT for 2 hours due to a flat tire! I didn't mind, I got one last drink from the QT and was able to shop at the Red X. It was fate.

We drove through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico to get to Arizona

For the most part, I was in Paige, our mini van, with the whiny kitten and Travis and his dad were in the moving truck.

We stopped for the night in Texas, and the next day we stopped in Albuquerque because that is where Travis lived the longest in his childhood, and I wanted to see his house.

That is where my babe ran around and caused trouble when he was a kid. It was neat to see.

Not long after that, we approached the Arizona border

Papa John snapped a shot of both of us the moment we crossed the state line
I was a little sad. Sometimes change is scary.


 And here is the first little town we saw

We got there Tuesday, July 2nd. This was the weather forecast
Welcome.


We hadn't closed on our house yet, so the Jolley's were kind enough to let us stay in their house for a night so we could close the next day... they were in Utah, so we had the house to ourselves. We got there and crashed that night. The next day, I called our mortgage broker, Tom, to finalize the closing time. He was very excited we made it to AZ and was very reassuring about closing within 24 hours. 

This is where the nightmare begins.

Alright, I know that with buying a house, things don't go as planned for the most part, but I don't think things could have gone worse for us. 

Papa John flew home that day so it was just Trav and I. We were really anxious to close that Wednesday evening because the 4th was the next day and we didn't want to wait till Friday to move, plus after Friday, our moving truck was going to cost us $100 a day.

Long story short, Tom led us on like a love struck teenager, and we found ourselves still at the Jolley's house that next Monday with still no closing date.

Don't get me wrong, we had fun.

We reunited with the long lost Taylors

Went to a swim park

Caught our first Diamond Backs game 


But the fact that I hadn't seen our kids in 8 days, the fact that we were getting charged everyday for the moving truck (plus it was probably frying all our stuff being so hot) and the fact that we were losing all our unpacking time and Utah trip time, was really eating at me. We were totally getting the run around.

But finally, we had a time set to close. Tuesday, July 9th, a week late. I called Erik, our real estate agent to let him know we were wanting the keys as soon as we closed and he was kind of quiet and said that the seller might not be ready, and we probably wouldn't get the keys till Wednesday or Thursday. I freaked.

We were at a restaurant and I just started bawling. I learned a lot about myself that week. I learned that I can't handle when things don't go right very well. 

I missed my kids and I felt horrible for leaving them for so long.

Although this is what they were doing while in Utah


So maybe I should have just calmed down a bit

But I didn't

Travis right then made the decision to fly me to Utah right after I signed the closing documents. I totally wussed out, but what a relief!

Then we had the crazy idea to fly Chris Johnson to Arizona to help Travis unload the truck and drive back to Utah (luckily the Johnson's were visiting Utah for a month). And he was crazy enough to do it!

So home to Utah I went, and all the way to Arizona Chris went.

The next 24 hours were nuts.

Travis absolutely had to turn the moving truck in on that Wednesday night by 4pm and Chris had to be back in Utah Thursday morning to work. It was going to be fine because they  really were getting the keys to our house in the early afternoon, right as soon as the funding went through. And that is when the crap hit the fan.

Tom, our lender, who we were so mad at because he led us on through this whole thing, when in reality, it was no where near ready, called Travis early that morning. Tom knew we were mad, my dad actually called him previously and ripped him a new one, so Tom was walking on egg shells. He called Travis and said that the funding documents were delivered to the wrong title company. Tom said that he would drive to the place it was sent, and deliver it to the right place. The only problem was that the funding needed to be authorized by 11 am to go through that day or we would have to wait yet another day and the place Tom needed to drive to was a 90 minute drive. It was already 9 am and he was going to be cutting it close! And our agent, Erik, was very strict about not giving us the keys until he saw that the funding went through. What a mess!

So Chris and Travis drove to Globe, an hour and 15 minutes away  from Gilbert and did what they should have done days before. They broke into our new house.
They had to unload the moving truck in 45 minutes in order to get it back to Gilbert by 4 pm or they wouldn't be able to drive home that night because they would still have the truck. Travis said that it was the most physically exhausting experience. They were in 100 degree weather hauling huge boxes and furniture into our garage with no water and no time to stop. 

Once they were done, they had to haul back to Gilbert and take the truck back. They left Globe at 3pm, and had to drive through a scary mountain pass in less than an hour in a huge truck.

Well, they didn't make it.

Luckily the Pensky place stayed open 30 minutes longer so they could drop it off. Bless you Pensky!

After they dropped the truck off, Travis got a call from Erik, the agent, and said that the funding went through and that we could finally have the keys to our house.

If I could have punched Erik in the face, I think I would have. 

So Travis and Chris stopped to eat, drove back to Globe to pick up the keys to the house, and just left for Utah at 11pm at night and drove the whole 11 hours through the night.

This man is a hero and a saint!

Phew! I'm exhausted just recounting this horrible experience.

Travis, you were pretty amazing. I don't think I would have survived that last day, in fact I know I wouldn't have. 
Sorry I'm such a baby.

Buying a house is rough! 

We couldn't have done it without our family and friends.

We love you guys!

THE END

6 comments:

Tracie said...

So fun to read all of this Miller Lite. You are not a wimp, you are a MOM. There is no wimp in MOM. And I am pretty sure you could wrestle me to the ground with your pinky finger...so if you are a wimp, what does that make me?

Papa John said...

Where to start..you all got a good dose of how long it sometimes takes to close on a home, especially nowadays. But your real estate rep was a joke!

I had to leave Phoenix because of a fifty year high school reunion. (Yes, I am that old). So Kathryn and I will be reimbursing you for Chris flight out to Phoenix to help you guys. What a great friend and trooper he is! I felt so bad, once I learned about the delay.

However, hind sight now rears its ugly head. Had I helped Trav on the other end, I don't know if my back would have survived without ending up in a body cast...Bottom line...you all are well, a piece of cake from here on out...Bless you all in your new home with a great experience lying ahead of you...

Papa John said...

One last thing I forgot to say. That home in Albuquerque that you saw was the home Trav spent six of his childhood years living in, but it sure did not look like the one we saw that day...WHAT A MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!!! Where is pride of ownership these days?

Mama Kath said...

Bravisimo Travis and Milli (and Chris)!!!

Tam the Gram said...

Wow, I am going to take a nap.....I am exhausted. Beautiful description of how many hands were involved to make everything work. You and Travie are loved very much.... can't forget those sweet girls.... Our little community make a good team...better than dumb BYU. Another post!
Love the pictures. I cried seeing all the great KC memories! Love you

Jen R. said...

Oh my gosh, what a nightmare. And holy crap Chris, what a guy. Seriously I would have cried too. I seriously can't believe how terrible this story is. At least it's over!