Friday, January 28, 2011

Prepartum

With Avery, we had Cervadil placed at 39 weeks because, hey, it was convenient. After the fact, we decided that we would attempt to go into labor naturally, because in childbirth, less is usually more, right? Well, of course, as the days dragged on and Milli continued to refuse to go into labor, we got a little ancy. Milli's mom, Tammy, showed up 2 days prior to the due date, and we realized shortly after that we were going to miss all of her help after the delivery. So on our last OB visit, we decided to schedule the delivery at 40 weeks and 4 days. So maybe next time with the natural thing (yeah, right.)


On the morning prior to D-Day, I went in to work (oh, this is Travis, by the way, sorry I'm not as funny as Milli) and the girls spent the day doing whatever they do. Milli and I happened to show up at the hospital at the same exact time, and were able to walk in together. On the way in, Milli exclaimed "Oh, we're doing this again!" (in reference to the scheduled induction). I was a little faster up on the floor, and walked up to the desk first. The women all looked at me as I plopped my stuff on the counter and said, "I'm here to have a baby." Apparently nobody got that joke, because they all just looked at me for a second. I chuckled to myself, though, and that made it all worth it.


We got put in a nice room with a view of one of the parking lots as we waited for the sun to go down and for the doc to come place the cervadil. I enjoy that evening at the hospital before the induction, when everything is chill and before Milli is uncomfortable. It feels like vacation. But Milli was bored, so we played some skipbo. I've never been owned in skipbo like that before, I was pretty upset. So shortly after we finished that dumb game (I'm never playing it again), the doc showed up and got the process started. At that point, she was dilated to about a 2, and having an occasional BH contraction.



Tammy and Avery came by soon after, and we had fun with the little one for her last time as a single child. She was cute, and as you would expect, acted like she owned the place. Imagine trying to keep the most inquisitive, adventurous child in the world from touching all of the hospital gadgets. Between watching part of the state of the union and keeping Avery from triggering a code blue, it was a bit exhausting.

It didn't take long before Avery was mostly naked. It's hard to keep clothes on her these days. I'm hoping that changes sooner than later. Tammy was indispensable in caring for Avery through this whole process. She took Avery to our friend's house after an hour or two so that we could rest.


I started to get a little video of the whole experience. Check this out to see Milli's reaction to my filmmaking.

2 comments:

Papa John said...

I am so proud of both of you! Milli and Brroklyn Mae split the Academy Award for Best Actress, Travis for Best Supporting Actor, Tammy for Best Supporting Actress, and Avery for everything, the little sweetie!
Way to deliver Trav!!! If you are all that good we might fly you out for Tracie's big day, what do you say Tracie?

Tracie said...

(Swallow vomit.)