Friday, January 28, 2011

Intrapartum

The night proceeded exactly like our first one had, with Milli starting to be uncomfortable shortly before midnight. We had the nurse check her again at about 12:30, and she was dilated to a four. At that point, the epidural was placed. After we got that in, she was checked again, and was a seven. The doc was on his way in, and she was almost complete when he showed up shortly before 2 AM. Quick, huh? That cervadil stuff really works for us!


At one of our OB visits, I asked Dr. Finkleston how involved I could get in the delivery. I asked how often he let the dad deliver the kid. He said he had never done that before, but that he would be willing in our case. When he showed up for the delivery, I wasn't sure if he remembered our conversation, but apparently he did, because he told the nurse that I would be helping out. The staff was nice enough to get me a gown and gloves, and I got my game face on.



Milli only had to push for about ten minutes, maybe about 5 or 6 contractions. She's a good pusher (I wouldn't have expected anything different from her). It helps to have small babies, too. The doc had me stand at his side for a minute while he got a feel for how the baby was moving down when she pushed. After a couple of pushes, though, I moved in as it was apparent it wasn't going to take much. I sat down and had her push for me, and we had a baby within minutes. I've got some good video, again thanks to Tammy the photographer/babysitter/catering service, but Milli wouldn't let me post it because she thinks it's too personal. Well, she's probably right, but I did a great job if I may say so (the doc did), almost as good as Milli. It's funny how when you sit down to deliver a baby, even when it's your own, it's hard to focus on anything other than getting the kid out safely. It wasn't until I handed her to Milli that I realized, hey wait, this one is mine!

When she came, it was obvious she looks more like her mama's side of the family. I haven't seen too much of me in her (???). We think she looks most like her cousin Bella. Freakin' cute. Here are a couple of our first videos of the little one. She is perfect.


3 comments:

Papa John said...

Oh the wonderment of birth...sent from Heaven special delivery, just for you! Blessings on you both!

Tracie said...

I am so sorry, but "wonderment?" Who TALKS like that?

Unknown said...

Cute. I will accept your offering.