Thursday, April 10, 2014

For love of the game

Amy Hogue is a celebrity in the softball world. She is the head softball coach for the University of Utah. I was lucky enough to play for her in Summer ball for two years. Tice also was lucky enough to play for her at Alta and Salt Lake Community College. We would both agree that she was the smartest coach we ever played for.

Well, since the U is in the pack 12, they come every year to play ASU. We of course had to go support our old coach.

The game was a nail biter. ASU is in the top ten of the country and Utah nearly beat them, they lost by one run in the last inning as a girl was called out at home, ending the game.

Tice is the one who really keeps in touch with "A" so I didn't want to burden her, after losing such an emotional game, with small talk. 
After the game, she walked right passed us with tear stained eyes, then she turned and said, "aren't you guys coming?" She wanted to get away from all her players and parents and just vent to us. It was such a nostalgic experience for me. The way she was talking about the last play and why she made the decision to send the runner and all the emotions going through her was an experience for me that I won't forget. There is something about this game that I can't explain. But you either "get it" or you don't. And when someone brings those raw feelings back, its really hard to walk away.

I cherish what I gained through all of those years and experiences.



Thanks for the awesome night!

Now back to being a civilian again. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ew, you guys cheered for the Yew. That's just wrong.

Papa John said...

No comment...

Tam the Gram said...

From a parents perspective..... Amy is awesome. Will never forget her before-game-rituals.....listened to the "thong song" from the hotel to the ball field ----we just kept winning!

Tice said...

Mill, this was awesome and I'm so glad you wrote about it. Yes, you do either "get it" or you don't and I'm so glad we get it and get to experience it together. What a great night… this is why we live close together again. Love you sista and I love Amy too… how great that she chose you and I to vent and cry with? She likes the Jones sistas!