Friday, August 2, 2013

The End

After 4 years of medical school and 3 grueling years of medical residency Travis is done! I kind of wanted to say, "we are done." But this post is all about Travis and his accomplishments!

Looking back, medical school wasn't all that bad. The first two years, which are the more studious years, we had no kids. I remember feeling sorry for myself a lot because my husband was always studying, but now that I look back, he probably should have studied more! I'm glad he wasn't one of those gunner husbands that had to be on top.  I remember some nights we would go hang out with friends and Travis would be in the corner studying something. He never liked turning down a social event, even if that meant taking his stuff with him. 

The last two years of school were up and down. We had Avery at the beginning of 3rd year. Every month was a different rotation, so some months were intense and others were easy. It seemed like Travis got pretty lucky with some of the rotations because a lot of times he was home early. I think he sought out the easier ones. That's my husband for you! 

He made a bunch of friends in medical school, and they would sit around and "study" together. It consisted of a lot of Mt. Dew! We loved getting together with all the wives and husbands. Those were the good old days!

Then the real test began. Residency.

 Its not the best idea to have a child during intern year. Intern year pretty much sucks to be honest. He had 30 hour shifts and would work up to 100 hours a week at times. He was ALWAYS tired. It was hard on us because having a newborn, I was up a lot at nights and so I was exhausted too. We had many "discussions" on who was more tired. That was a tough year! 

The last year of residency was so much easier! Less hospital shifts and more clinic hours, very little delivering babies and more elective rotations.  Travis's residency program was really great. He had a lot of wonderful faculty and he loved his co-residents. Sometimes when he had to work night shifts, it kind of seemed like he was going to have a sleepover with his friends. They would eat junk food, watch movies and play games, oh yeah, and save lives too! He got to know some pretty terrific people.

This is his last shift of residency! He looks a little haggard.

At his residency graduation, he delivered an amazing speech. I was a little nervous for him because he doesn't love the spotlight. He put so much thought into his speech. It was funny, but also deep and meaningful. I was so proud of him. 

This was before his speech, can you feel the nerves?


His parents and all of his siblings were able to make it to his graduation. He was really excited about that, so to all of the in laws, thank you so much for sacrificing your spouse and staying home with the kids. That was the best graduation gift Travis could have received!

The graduation:




Here were the special guests



Oh yeah and the Johnson's of course had to be there, Chris was pretty much one of Trav's fellow doctors. I think he went and hung out with him at the hospital more than I did!




And here are the people who my husband spent the last 3 years with

Research Family Medicine residency class of 2013


Him and all the ladies... and NO, residency is NOT just like Grey's anatomy!


Trav I hope you know how much I appreciate your hard work and finding a career that will provide for our family. Even though you kind of fell into family practice without having a passion to do it, I think this is the perfect job for you. Your last year of residency I watched you grow and become passionate about medicine. You looked forward to the didactic presentations and you were always reading some sort of medical journal. Your patients are going to love you. I'm not just saying this because you are my husband, but I would trust you with my health in a heart beat. I am totally confident in your judgements and decisions. And you are kind of hot too. 

We are so excited to be done, but kind of scared to start over somewhere new. Life is crazy!

1 comment:

Papa John said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! TO YOU BOTH!!!!
What a fantastic 7 year experience.
Just as much as anything else, other than having your two children, developing forever relationships with the Johnson's, Taylor's, and others will be experiences you will cherish forever...
It was a fun ride for us too...