Friday, May 17, 2013

Getaway

We have never been to the Omaha zoo, apparently its the best. We decided to go last weekend. I agree, best zoo ever!

We started our 3 hour trek on Friday afternoon. It was a pretty smooth ride to the La Quinta. We checked in and then went out to a pizza place in downtown Omaha.

Its a cool little city, almost kind of vintage-y? 

It was getting late, but we promised the girls that they could go swimming before bed, so we quickly got changed and went to the pool. Luckily there was only one guy in the pool area, who was in the hot tub, when Avery fully upchucked in the pool. I guess the rule stating you should wait an hour to swim after eating is a good one. 

Now to the zoo. The next morning we had breakfast and headed out there. It looked like an amusement park. 


The first place we went was a cave made for nocturnal animals. I felt like I was in a swamp somewhere in Alabama. It was really cool.


Then we went in the famous desert dome. It was really hot and crowded. Kind of like Phoenix, where we are moving, guess we better get used to it!


Then we went and saw the monkeys and gorillas

No joke, this gorilla was giving me and Brooklyn the stare down for a good 5 minutes. I looked down to pick Brooklyn up to move to the next exhibit, and when I looked up, the gorilla was right up at the glass, one foot away from us, pounding his chest, and then he kicked the glass and ran off. He was not happy with us. I may have peed in my pants a little, it freaked me out!

I told Avery that if she lived at the zoo, she would definitely live in the monkey cages.


At this point we felt it was time for a photo break


The one picture that the girls are both looking happy, Travis isn't, come on Trav!

Then we went to go and see the "cats" and this happened

Going...

Going...

Gone!

They slept for a good 45 minutes, so Trav and I went on a date and had a nice and quiet lunch.

Then we headed to the aquarium, which was amazing!
That is a shark


That is an upside down jelly fish


Then we went to the rain forrest, which was our favorite!

I decided what makes a cool zoo. To actually see animals in their environment, versus just the cages.

And having a jungle bridge.


Omaha monkey

Kansas City monkeys




And then inevitably this happened

And at that point, we decided we had enough zoo for one day!

Go to the Omaha zoo.




6 comments:

Unknown said...

You keep your kids in cages?

Unknown said...

You keep your kids in cages?

Tam the Gram said...

I want to be one of your kids.... you guys explore the world and do exciting things. I have never been much of a zoo person, but after seeing the polar bear swim at your zoo, the Phoenix zoo, and now this...I may reconsider. Great pictures...sooo fun.

Papa John said...

All of ya's, just natural born explorers...

Tice said...

This zoo looks awesome!! Glad you guys had a good time. And yes... get use to the desert environment!

Tice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.