Monday, January 21, 2013

Nauvoo



You remember Amy, my crazy running partner?

Well, she finally got hitched to Hyrum Prince in the Nauvoo temple.

Nauvoo is about 4 1/2 hours away. It didn't really work out with Trav's schedule to go, so I decided to just go without husband and kids. 
My friend, Jen, thought the idea of getting away for 24 hours was genius, so she came with me.
What a party crasher.
This party crasher ended up being the photographer/bouquet maker for the wedding so they didn't frown upon her crashing.

The wedding was so much fun. There were maybe 25 people max involved. 
The night we got there, we hung out at a bed and breakfast and played games with everyone.
Then Jen and I stayed up till 3 am making the bridal bouquet and a couple other ones for people in the wedding party.
I have never done that before, because I'm NOT domestic, but it was kind of fun and they worked out.
Then we woke up early in the morning to help with hair and make up. Again, Jen delivered, she is a hair school graduate. I think she was more valuable than I was for the wedding!
The temple was beautiful and the bride and groom were radiant!
The weather was FUHREEZING though and I totally forgot my coat, so I thought I was going to die a couple of times.
It was fun though, the whole party drove around Nauvoo taking wedding pictures while looking at the sites.
Jen had never seen the Mississippi before, so we of course had to go and touch it.
Then we headed over to the bed and breakfast and had a buffet style Mexican feast! Then Amy and Hyrum brought out there wedding cake, which was a cake made out of cake balls. They proceeded to throw the cake balls in each other's mouths. They are awesome. Then, Amy made the whole party her favorite dessert, mint chocolate chip milk shakes. They were wonderful.
I loved this small wedding! Totally Amy's style.
After the wedding festivities, we drove up to Carthage jail to see where Joseph Smith was martyred.
Then we stood around taking pictures at the site where he was killed, which was kind of awkward, because were we supposed to smile? I don't know, but that place is a neat place to visit. Church history is very humbling for me to learn about. I just don't know if I would be willing to do what those people did, I was whining for the 2 hours I didn't have my coat during the pictures. Amazing!
This little jaunt out of town was exactly what I needed. Jen and I had lots of good talks and laughs! We were both refreshed when we got home, but maybe we should have slept more?
Thanks to our husbands for taking on the load! 
Nauvoo temple
The lovely bride and groom

JK here they are


The Mississip, I look like a giant next to Jen

The Jail




That is the bullet hole that killed Hyrum Smith
good times!

1 comment:

Tam the Gram said...

Very good times.... glad you went