Monday, October 26, 2009

One Fine Day

Since I'm pretty thoughtful, I'll give you the short version...

Short version:

I ran my second KC marathon, my time was 3 hours and 37 minutes and 6 seconds

My mom and dad came and ran the half. Sid's time was 2 hours 18 minutes, Tam's time was 2 hours and 5 minutes

No one pooped their pants so all in all it was a success!


Since I choose to blog rather than to journal I must give a long version so my progeny can share all my joy...

Long version:

May 09: My friend Angela mentions that she wants to run the KC half marathon... I think about it.

June 09: Still thinking about it.

July 09: I fall into peer pressure because my running soul mate, Amy is doing the full marathon. I hesitantly agree to do the full marathon with her.

July 09: I go to Utah and eat lots of food... but kind of start running.

August 09: I run a couple of long runs with my mom. I pressure her into running the half marathon in Kansas City.

September 09: I finally get back from Utah, a little fatter, but with a couple long runs under my belt. I meet up with my old running pal Amy. She always makes the long runs magical.

Late September 09: My mom talks my dad into running the half marathon with her. That gives him about 4 weeks to train. Sid is nuts.

October 09: I have a minor anxiety attack because its October and I haven't trained half as much as I did for my first one. What did I get myself into?

The week of the marathon: Amy and I go shopping for matching running outfits, we find a killer deal, it has to have green in it. I buy one for my mom too. My Dad didn't want any of our nonsense so will wear his own outfit during the race. His loss.


The day after my anxiety attack: I run my last run before the big day, about 4 1/2 miles and feel wonderful!

October 16Th 09: Sid and Tam arrive and we have a pasta party with Angela and Matt and Amy and Hyrum. Its almost like Christmas Eve. We are a little nervous but mostly excited and very jolly!


October 17Th 09, 5:30 am: We are up and going. It is pouring rain.


That same day, about 6:30 am: I talk to Amy on the phone, she is on her way to the race. She will call when she gets there and we will meet up.


7:00 am:Avery is bundled up really nice and tight. She doesn't know what the heck is going on. Travis has the camera all ready to go. We are at the starting line. It has stopped raining. The race is starting, still no word from Amy. I have called her about 9 times. Starting to freak out a little.

7:15 am: The race has been going for about ten minutes. Sid decided to go ahead and start, but Tam is sticking around with me so see if we can find Amy. Our time doesn't start until we go past the starting line, we have magical chips in our shoes.

7:16 am: I give up on Amy, we start the race. The 5K, half and full all start together so I run with Mom for a little bit. I feel kind of bad because I am super ornery realizing that I have to run 26 miles without a friend or an Ipod. Due to my anger, I am running really fast and my mom tells me to go on. I linger for awhile, but then decide to go ahead.


The first 5 miles: I find Sid and we run for a second together, then he tells me to go ahead. My anger is still outweighing my ability to pace myself. I'm frantically looking at everyone to see if I can find my friend. No luck! But I do find Sarah, she is running the half. We run for a second together, then I go ahead.

Mile 5-10: I'm starting to cool off. I'm not mad anymore. I keep wondering if Amy is OK. My eyes are more clear and I start to look around and enjoy myself. I notice the fun bands playing, the conversation going on, the atmosphere is amazing! I am feeling so good! The marathon and half marathoners break at this point. My dad said when he hit this point (about mile 8) he heard someone from the full marathon say, "good luck halfers, we will miss you." I kind of did miss running with the huge crowd. Also, there are a lot of guys just off the road taking pees. Kind of funny. At some point, Travis tries to find me, but he gets boxed in since the streets are blocked off, so he stays put. I would have loved to see him and Avery during the race.

Mile 10-15: Still feeling good, except when I get to mile 14. What is it with this mile? I struggled two years ago at mile 14. I eat some nasty goo and hit a second wind at about mile 15 1/2. I kind of want to make friends with some of the other runners, but can't seem to get out of my shell, so I just continue to listen to every one's conversations.

Mile 15-20: I can't believe how awesome I feel! The scenery is amazing. Beautiful leaves everywhere!


Mile 20-25: I'm starting to really feel it in my quads. I feel bad for them. There is a burning inferno going on, and they might blow. I don't slow down, I just want to finish. What shmoe planned this marathon, mile 22-24 is uphill! S.O.B!

Mile 25-26.2: I can hear the crowd up ahead. People are cheering me on and saying that I'm looking good. One supporter said that I had a good face on me, which meant that I had the eye of the tiger going on. There is this guy running next to me that keeps shouting for joy because we are so close... I think I muttered a couple "yahoo's" and "hooray's" as well. The finish line is about 100 yards ahead and I look over and can see my family and friends. I feel a little emotional, but hold it in.

After the finish line: I finally cross the finish line! They wrap an astro blanket around me and give me a medal and another shirt. All of a sudden I am freezing! My family comes and meets me. I give them all hugs. Travis and Avery are the best! What an awesome feeling!!! Oh and then Amy shows her mug. She had finished about ten minutes before. Her story? She was calling me a million times as well, we were in the parking garage, so probably didn't get service. Sad! Oh well, since I started after her, our times were less than a minute apart. What did I tell ya, we are running soul mates and we both qualified for Boston! Sid and Tam did awesome! My mom almost made it under two hours! And Sid had run about 4 times and averaged about ten minute miles! They are crazy!

After the race: We are all freezing, so we leave. We get home and Sid runs (not literally) to five guys and we indulge on huge bacon cheeseburgers and fries! Our bodies love us!

That night: We get a babysitter and go see a movie. After the movie, Travis has to carry me to the car. My body is not functioning. I swear I wasn't this soar two years ago. Must be getting old! Why aren't my parents limping, they are old?

Best part of the race: Hearing people cheer me on. I know it sounds dumb, but its almost as if people put aside their differences and hatred and the world is peaceful. Everyone is kind and helpful. Oh and also, having zero bowel issues!

Worst part: Mile 14 and not having Amy with me. We purposely didn't talk for two weeks so we would have lots of material during the run!


Travis gets the MVP award for a) getting up early and staying the WHOLE time b) watching Avery the whole time and c) having a great attitude. Thanks for being the best husband ever!

I think that pretty much says it all. I'm probably going to retire for awhile, but I think I'm like Brett Favre, I don't think I can stay away for too long.


Before the race:


During

After

12 comments:

Anie said...

Wow girl, I am impressed! You are a running machine! Thanks for blogging about it, what a neat experience, glad it was you and not me! Great Job!

Tracie said...

I told Travis in the next life I am resurrecting into your body and athleticism. It's just downright RUDE that someone is THAT beautiful, THAT athletic, and THAT sweet. An average of an 8 1/2 minute mile for 26.2 miles? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I'd be happy to pull that off for one mile! (And for the record, I would have been happy if you had problem with the scoots while you were running, cause then I'd at least know you weren't freakin perfect!)

Susan said...

You are amazing! Congrats!

Papa John said...

Way to go Millster, Tam and Sid...
I loved Avery's response to, "what is that?" "Nana"

Allie said...

Not going to lie, I read the short version and skimmed the long version. Way to go!!

Daisie said...

Okay first of all, I adore the cake and cupcakes! What a cute idea! And I totally agree with you on all the fuss and they don't even get it!! So glad she is feeling better now! And I thoroughly enjoyed the play by play on the race! I am so sad for you and Amy not to have been together! But I am serious YOU ARE AMAZING!! Please pat yourself on the back for me! Can't wait to be seeing you soon!!

Jason, Elisa, Connor and Megan said...

You are awesome!!! I would love to run a marathon! Maybe one day.

Sarah Oman said...

It was awesome to chat with you during the race. At least one of us got to see Travis during the race!

PS- you rock!

Jill said...

Awesome Mill! Nice job! Everytime I look at your blog I just wish forever that you lived closer. When are you moving back?!?!?!?!

PS Sid and Tami ROCK!

brandonandlexee said...

you are awesome! wish I could have said that to you while you were racing:) very impressive Mil

Tam the Gram said...

It was a great experience, I still can't believe dad only trained for 3.5 weeks. thanks for the invite, what we parents won't do for our kids! It is precious when Avery says, "nana". Miss her---and you two as well.

The Dumas Family said...

You are my hero! I can't believe you ran that mostly by yourself. Way to go!!! Avery is so beautiful. I can't believe how grown up she looks for a one year-old. I hope all is well.