Sunday, October 25, 2009

Its her party and she'll cry if she wants to...

...And crying she did
October 24Th has been a date in my head that I have been anticipating for a long time. Avery's first birthday! Cute presents- check, hello kitty decorations- check, a dog and cat themed celebration- check, grandparents- check, a beautiful dog cake made by my mom- check. Let's see, what are we missing? ... ... hmmmm... .... oh a healthy baby girl.
She has hardly been sick her whole life besides the little runny nose here and there, but of course, on her first birthday the little pooper had a fever, a rash, a major sore throat and no energy! I felt so bad for her. You could just tell she felt horrible, I mean, she actually let us hold her for more than 7 seconds.
I didn't have a very good contingency plan, so I ended up calling the few people we invited to come over and I cancelled the festivities. We took Avery to the local urgent care. She had a pretty high fever and we just wanted to make sure it wasn't strep or an ear infection. It turned out to be just a viral thing. They gave her a good dose of ibuprofen and when we got home she was acting a little bit like herself. This was our window to do a small celebration. We acted quickly and grabbed the presents and she just kind of stared at them and ran to her old toy. Man, we could have just wrapped that thing up! Its funny how the parents are so into the kids first birthday, and the kid could care less. She will never remember this day. Its sort of like the baby's room blog I mentioned last year. The baby doesn't care about its room, its all about the parents. That is the same thing about their first birthday. I had all these expectations of her delving into her cake and all of us laughing and having the best memories, but we couldn't even get her to eat Ritz crackers, let alone cake!
The most important thing is that she is feeling a little better today. Not quite 70% yet but better.
I can't believe we have a one year old! Every day still feels new with her. We have decided we will keep this one. She is a feisty little girl, and I'm sure we will have lots of battles in the future, but when she stares you in the eyes with her mouth wide open in anticipation of a kiss (she gives open mouth ones), it makes everything so worth it!
Here are some pictures in the small window we had when she felt well (thank you drugs!)







Here is the cake and cup cakes. We stressed a lot over these guys, but they turned out. Too bad we have about 25 cupcakes laying around. Anyone want one?



Oh and TC, Avery loves the mechanical doggy you sent her. I'm praying they will have a long relationship and she won't want a real one! Thanks to my parents for being there. It was their 30th wedding anniversary and Avery stole their thunder! We had a lot of fun (I have a ton of blogging to catch up on!). And thanks to those who thought of Avery!
This is her first dolly. She likes to make out with it.

Oh and PS have I mentioned that Avery is walking? Well she is!

8 comments:

Allie said...

What the one-year-old??? Happy Birthday to little Avery! So sad that she was sick, but so awesome that she is walking! Miss you guys!

Jason, Elisa, Connor and Megan said...

That stinks Avery was sick on her birthday. Like you said at least she won't remember this one. Cute cake and cupcakes!

Anie said...

Happy birthday to Avery!
Poor little dear, being sick on her big day! Very cute cake and cup cakes! I love that she was smooching her baby doll lol.

Tam the Gram said...

thanks for being such great hosts, we really had a wonderful time climbing through small areas, seeing two ginormous rivers meet, and worshipping ritz crackers. We already miss Avery's huskie voice saying "baabaa". We love you guys. P.S. The run wasn't to bad either.

The Ceder House's said...

Happy Birthday Avery! What cute little cupcakes:)

Papa John said...

ONE YEAR OLD!!! It sounds like you are already rulin the roost in the Charles clan...really loved seeing you walk more than just a few steps. You go girl!!!
Yesterday, Mama Kath and I were able to see our brand spanking new grandson, Liam. courtesy of Wes and Rachael. The newest of the Charles clan now makes Avery a veteran grandchild. She is no longer the rookie!

TC Jolley said...

I have to say that, up until this point I've seen more Travis in her but in that picture of her and dad she looks just like you! I love her so much. I can't wait to bite her cheeks!

John and Erin said...

Somehow I missed this post. I can't believe she is one already! And that she is walking! I agree with TC, I think Avery is starting to look so much like you millhouse.