Thursday, July 17, 2008

Its Official...

I think I'm going to have to declare myself a walker from now till after Spud gets here. I tried running Tuesday and failed because my tummy kept cramping up. I thought it was a fluke; or gas so I tried it again yesterday and I felt like I had to hold my tummy the whole time again because I was cramping up. So instead of running I turned on the speed walking. Yes; that is correct; I'm going to be one of those cool people that sways their arms back and forth as fast as possible while taking large swift steps. Maybe I will go and buy a spandex outfit to match; it seems like some of "those" kind of people wear that stuff?

Speed Walking Facts:

  • The world's largest registration walking event is the International Four Days Marches Nijmegen.
  • You can burn about 440 calories an hour if you weigh 150 pounds and are walking at the brisk pace of 4.5 miles per hour.
  • Speed walking was made an official event in the olympics... but then was removed :(
  • If competing in a "race walking" competition you always have to have one leg touching the ground. "The advancing leg shall be straightened (i.e. not bent at the knee) from the moment of first contact with the ground until the vertical upright position."

10 comments:

B-blog said...

That's awesome, Milli! I bet you will be an excellent speed walker.

Jill said...

I can totally see it. I'd say go for the spandex.

Laura said...

You know, during some of my races, I have been beaten by many speed walkers. I think it's the hip action that gets them so far! (uhh, do they make me look bad?)

The Dumas Family said...

Nothing wrong with walking - it works all the same muscles. Now your baby won't have shaken-baby syndrome from running. You can come walk through the splash park next time you're in town. There were no crazy pregnant women, just one crazed woman chasing after her 2 year-old (that would be me).

John and Erin said...

Thanks for the mental pic of you 7 months prego in the tightest spandex speed walking.

Cynthia and Bryan said...

A walker huh ??? Good job, I saw this guy who was an olympic speed walker when it was in the olympics and it was hilarious to watch him move that fast, all I could think was "wouldn't it be easier to run ?!"

Jordan said...

Milli,

I should tell you that I am an excellent speed walker.

Tracie said...

SPEED WALKING ROCKS! IT WORKS MUSCLES YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD. DON'T LISTEN TO THE HATERS.

Becky Johnson said...

Wow! I am impressed you even made it 6 months running. You go girl!! I must suck cuz I have just been doing the eliptical. :(

Tam the Gram said...

I am visualizing your "man" example with a basketball under his shirt--it's beautiful!