Thursday, January 31, 2008

Work it

So a couple people have requested me to post an experience I had at work last week. It is a little embarrassing, but I should probably confess my sins.

If you weren't sure, I work as a nutritionist at a doctor's office. My day consists of seeing ornery, hungry, irritable people (Ok, i'm over exaggerating, I love a lot of my patients but some are evil) and discussing with them diet plans and their health. I'm sort of the peon of the office. There is a medical doctor who loves charging people a ridiculous amount of money and is not too concerned about it; kind of a typical jerk doctor (i'm training Travis to not be like that). Luckily Dr. T is only in the office twice a week. We also have a male Nurse Practioner, aka Dr. Wannabe who not kidding, is basically a Dwight (from The Office). He is a butt kisser know-it-all. Then we have a dietician who has a four year degree (which I have) but two-year internship (which I don't have thus downsizing my credentials), and then there is me... the lonely nutritionist.

A couple of weeks ago our dietician (we will call her Sparky), who I really like but sometimes her intensity can really get to me, comes into my office and says that there is this really cool obesity conference in which Dr. T said we could all go too. Sweet, I finally get to feel important. WRONG! The following week I get an email from our office manager Anna (a very cool girl who shares the same feelings about our supervisors). The email is a forward from Dwight saying that Dr. T actually only wants Dwight and Sparky to attend the conference, and pond scum Milli can just stay back and work. This infuriates me. Snubbed again! The cool thing about where I work are the girls I work with. We all send each other emails all day long ripping on our authorities. After receiving the forward from Anna, the moaning and backbiting begins. It feels good to have all of their support. There is name calling, badmouthing and silliness in all of these emails. The "team" decides for me that I should email Dwight and tell him how I feel about my un-invitation. So I did.

I send Dwight the forward that Anna sent to me adding to it an explaination of how I felt, yadda yadda yadda. It was actually a genius piece of work, and I feel great about it. After I send it to him, I forward the copy to my girls. In the next instant, I can hear Sparky say "Milli is this the copy you sent to Dwight?" Thinking she would totally toot my horn with how awesome it sounds, I answer "yeah, why," she goes on to use a few choice words that I will edit from this post. She points out that along with the email I sent him; I also forwarded him the emails that we all had been sending each other. Various quotes from those emails are; "he is such a freak" and "we can't wait till he goes to the conference so we can have a day of fun without him." I immediately start sweating profusely in my armpits. Dwight luckily was in his office with a patient, so he hadn't had a chance to read the email i sent him, but the email was there just sitting inches away from him. I ran into Sparky's office and just kept saying "he can't read that email, we will all get fired!!!

Dwight's door opens, he is done with his patient. By the grace of Heaven, Dwight walks out of his office, leaving his computer alone and goes to the chart stack. I punch Sparky and say "go distract him, I'm going in his office and getting rid of that email." She jumps up and goes to him and starts talking about the benefits of soy nuts while I run into his office. At this point, my heart rate is nearing the numbers of 250 at least and I can actually hear it beat in my ears. I get on his computer and click on his email. His email is not formatted the way mine is, so it was hard to tell if he had read my email or not. "He couldn't have read it because he was with a patient" I keep telling myself. Even though my hands are shaking I somehow manage to right click and push 'delete' on the implicating email. Then I sprint straight back to my office and pretty much have a seizure. I hurry and copy and paste the same email to a nice fresh email and send it to Dwight just in case he had happened to glance at his computer and see an email from me in his inbox while he was seeing that patient.

Time was ticking, and I was eagerly awaiting a response, when I realized, crap, I didn't delete the bad email from his deleted folder. He still has a chance of reading it. As I was thinking this, I heard the dreadful "ding" the noise of a brand new email. It was from him. This was either going to be very good or very bad. The email was actually polite and apologetic. He had responded to my nice email. I actually pulled it off without getting the whole staff fired! He had no clue!

Luckily it was close to lunchtime and he leaves for lunch, so the second he left the office, I re-snuck in his office to do my final destruction of deleting the deleted file. The email was not in there. I looked in all of his files and could not find the evidence. To this day I have no idea if maybe I double deleted it, or if he actually read it, or if it is just floating around cyber space.

I still am not invited to the obesity conference. But at this point I don't really care. All that matters is that the true me was not revealed. He still thinks I am sweet. I know I should go on to say that I learned a lesson, and that I should never talk behind somebody's back, but to be honest, how can you not make fun of Dwight? The days are funny and it makes work go by fast. I may be justifying myself to Hell, but instead of learning my lesson and trying not to talk bad about him I made a rule to always read an email from top to bottom before sending one.

23 comments:

Tamara Jacobs said...

OKAY that is the funniest story!!! And good work on cleaning it up so good! Gotta love Dwight, and who wouldn't want to make fun of his twin who you happen to work with? Love it!

Mike said...

OK, Milli, I laughed, I cried, I friggen peed my pants. You are bleeding wit, my dear girl. You could be a writer.

Mike said...

That sentence would never EVER come out of my husband's mouth, BTW. I know he has said those words at one point, just never in that order before. That was Tracie.

Daisie said...

Mill....My blood pressure was raging too, just reading about this! I am so glad you got away with it!! HILARIOUS!!! MISS YOU!

Camille said...

Milli! I love it. And I SO appreciate your honesty of admitting that he totally deserves your mockery and you will just be more careful. Go Milli!

TC Jolley said...

So I'm still peeing my pants about it! I heard it live but now I can always click on your blog to make my pants wet!!! You are a Jones!!! I love it!!!

S&J Jones Family said...

We need to hang out more than just knitting group. I feel like we have a lot in common whenever I read your blog. See you Wed.

Lauren Perry said...

Oh my heck Milli!! You are hilarious! I love that about you :) I can't believe that you actually had to go through all of that!!

ps- if you ever want to go to an obesity clinic to study my people, just come to dinner at my house next time you come to Utah :) We are fat and friendly AND flattered that you want to take the time to get to know about us.

Anika said...

OH MY GOSH! I am laughing so hard! I think that is everyone's NIGHTMARE! That has got to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time! Hey- I still think you are the sweetest thing!

Tam the Gram said...

Milli, this story reminds of the trouble you got into with Dr. "J. Gizz" at BYU. So funny! You remember the story of Moses and the Children of Isreal? They had the higher law and the lower law. They can't quite get the higher one so they settle on the lower. You are funny honest, so keep talking about dwight, but make sure you read from top to bottom (the lower law lesson) and you will turn out just fine! It is your 51st week of your 24th year today.

Becky Johnson said...

Oh my gosh....what would you have done if he read that? You got SO lucky!! Trust me, I have accidently sent bad text messages to the wrong person and it ended on a bad note. So, good thing that didn't happen to you. Eek! That would have been awful. haha

Ashley said...

LOL--loved it!

Cynthia and Bryan said...

Okay- first of all..you are in a knitting group ?! well I guess whatever makes you happy...haha- this predicament was hilarious ! Good thing your quick, and did all of the sneaky work on his computer ! Come visit !

swampbaby said...

LOL! Milli you are a crack-up. Love the office drama!

Kate said...

Milli Sue! That email is hilarious! And the funniest part was your sweating armpits -- only Milli would document that in her blog! And thank goodness you were able to be so sneaky!

Allie said...

Milli, that is honestly my worst nightmare come true! I'm always afraid of emailing or texting something about someone and have it go to the wrong person. It reminds me of when we worked at Contacts and emailing each other all day long about people.
I LOVED your reactions and I think you should definitely go on talking about people behing their backs. It always pays off even if it means having a seizure in the mean time.
By far the best post I have ever read!

Quela said...

Milli! Typical Milli, So funny! I'm glad you got out of that in one piece! I found your blog through TC. Come visit us at mattandquela.blogspot.com
Q

Mandy said...

So funny! This was by far the best office story ever! And I could not be more proud of you! I know if I would have sent that I would have immediatly taken my stapler and slit my wrists! You, however rose above the fear and conquered the evil 'Dwight'. And, I also agree with Lauren, you are a nutritionist? Develop a plan for a flabby mommy and I will pay you in kisses...or cash if that is more your thing. E-mail me!

Brandi Hastings said...

You are one crazy woman! You totally inspire me!! :)

J and E Mayfield said...

Holy Shiz mill you are hilarious. I wish so badly I could have witnessed that. Allie told me the story before I read it and I was dying. However, I just don't believe that actually happened. How could it? That's too good of a story to be real. Good one Mill.

Laura & Rusty Jensen said...

Funny story Milli. By the way:Happy Black History Month

Erin said...

Hi Milli! Thanks for saying hi. Don't you just love med school?? What fun. Well, we need to keep in touch.

Unknown said...

HA! You're a good little writer, Milford. Serves you gossippers right!