Tuesday, October 23, 2007

26.2

First of all I just want to warn everybody that this is going to be one long freaking blog. It is more of a journal entry since I kind of count this as my journal. Last Saturday I lost my running marathon virginity. I ran the Kansas City marathon. It was awesome! I have been training since April with my pal named Amy. In these runs I have learned a lot of wierd things about her that I am sure she would not want me to share, so I wont Amy. Vice versa for her too, so you better keep your mouth shut! Anyways I want to share my experience of running 26.2 miles. My greatest fear of this adventure was that I was going to lose control of my bowels and mess my pants; but this did not happen. I will start from the beginning. The race started at 7 am in downtown Kansas City. We left at about 6:10 am and hit some pretty heavy traffic. Oh and I just wanted to note that Travis volunteered to come early with us because he wanted to see the starting line (how sweet is that?) So we packed him a camping chair, a pillow, a blanket and of course Joanna (his computer). Anyways, by the time we parked, met up with some people and walked half a mile to the starting line (which i'm counting as mileage, so I should rename this blog 26.7) the race had already started. We were about 5 minutes behind! I could see the huge mass of people about 300 yards ahead of me. Amy and I kind of freaked out and just started booking it to catch up; which isn't very smart if you want to keep a constant pace. We were weaving and bobbing through the crowd.(Oh and I have to mention that we had gone to Target earlier that week and bought matching running outfits.) We probably ran the first 3 miles at a 7:15 minute pace. We even got people yelling at us saying "you got 24 more miles to go, you may want to pace it." So. We finally got to where we felt we needed to be and kept a pretty steady pace. My favorite part of the race was mile 6. I was feeling really fresh and we were in a cool part of the city and the water station was Halloween decorated. It was fun. The race was extremely hilly though. I think I started to hit my wall at mile 14 (and that is when my bowels started barking; I felt like my worst fear was going to come true). I was going to stop at the next potty which was at mile 16, but when we got there, the feeling went away and I didn't want to sacrifice my time. I actually hit a high at mile 20. It was wierd because everyone says that you can train for the first 20 miles of a marathon, but the last 6 you are on your own. When I saw the mile marker I got a wierd feeling. It was almost an emotional feeling knowing I was so close to the finish. Well, that feeling lasted about 2 miles. I don't know what genious planned the route, but from mile 22 to 23 there was a ginormous hill. This about did me in. I felt like I was going to die. I made it through the hill, but I did not want to stop at anymore drink stations because I knew that if I stopped running it would be too difficult to start. My wise friend Amy said that it was dumb to skip any drink stations, so I listened to her and walked while I drank (I learned the hard way in the first drink station that you can't run and drink at the same time, red gatorade everywhere!). The last mile was really cool. There were a lot of runners starting to cramp up, some on the side of the road stretching and some people had to start walking. I felt a little adrenaline and booked it to the finish line with Amy. It was such a neat feeling because I saw my Dad on the sidelines cheering for us and he ran to the course and gave me a high five along with my sister Sadie, right before we crossed. Then I saw Trav filming me with the video camera and my mom with her huge camera. Yay! We finished. I had an awesome fan club. It was the coolest feeling!!! Even though we started 5 minutes after the race, we had chips on our shoes that started the official time when we passed the starting line, which made the start to finish time accurate. Our time was 3 hours and 48 minutes.




Highlights of the marathon:
Haunted mile 6 and the drink station
Amy and my matching outfits and getting called twins along the whole race
At mile 14 drink station the guys passing out water were wearing nothing by tighty-whities
Realizing that Kansas city is actually gorgeous
Watching Amy try to eat goo
Meeting random people ie: Zach who tried to run the Chicago marathon 2 weeks earlier and quit because of the intense heat, and the "real" twins that wore matching outfits
People running in costumes: a turtoise and a hair, a nun and a monk, a mohawk man oh and this isn't a costume, but a man ran the whole thing bare foot
Seeing our friend Nancy qualify for Boston being 40 years old
Mile 20 and the last .2 of a mile stretch
The most amazing weather you could ask for
The magic jelly bean that Amy held the whole run in her hand
Seeing my family at the finish line
Running arm in arm with Amy and the announcer announcing that "they must be friends"
All the random people (such as homeless people on the side of the streets) cheering
The free food afterwords and eating whatever I wanted

Lowlights of the marathon:
Being late and having to find a hole in the crowd to pass people
Barking bowels at mile 14
Realizing I paid 50 bucks for this torture
Hills
Goo (gross)
The post race visit to the port-o-potty
Being sore
Making fun of a girl who was wearing a ton of make up and then realizing that she beat us



I think that about sums it up. I think I'm going to retire for awhile but will make a comeback sooner or later. It was a great experience! Thanks to Amy, Nancy and Scott for the great runs! And thanks to my family for being there and supporting. And thanks to my husband for supporting through encouragement (couldn't get his butt out of bed to go on any runs but he was always there for me in spirit).

15 comments:

Tracie said...

OK, this might be the most entertaining blog entry ever! Milli, you are FAST! I don't know if I could ever get that fast, no matter how much I trained:) You are the WO-MAN!

Mandy said...

I can not tell you how proud of you I am! I am a little sad that you didnt take a picture of your "Crazy Legs" which I am sure to be jealous of! I just think you are amazing! So cute and so wonderful! I was so happy that you talked about the poop that kept materializing. Me and my training partner went on our longest run on Friday and I had to squeez my bum the entire time! So horrible! I wish I could be Amy, I am jealous. But mostly, I am just so proud of you! Good job baby!

Tam the Gram said...

I am so glad that we could be there to share this awesome thing you did--I KNOW how taxing a marathon is and you did it so fast and were late! It will always be a great memory and will always remind me of my motto for you (did you know I had a motto for you?) Remember it was from your kindergarten room, the sign by the drinking fountain: HARD WORK PAYS OFF! I love you very much and am grateful to have shared this fun day and wonderful accomplishment with you.
P.S. Am also greatful that your generation gives everything a name: the runner's scoots. P.S.S. so is Janet

The Ceder House's said...

Congrats Mili! I am so proud of you! That is an awesome accomplishment. I hope to make it through a full marathon someday. I know what you mean about the potty breaks... ha ha!

Allie said...

Millhouse, that is great! You gotta love posting it because you know you are going to get a zillion comments of people congratulating you and telling you how awesome you are. Its got to make you feel great about yourself. That really is awesome, way to endure to the end. You remind me of the frog who feel into a bucket of cream and didn't give up-- he tread and tread until it turned into butter and he could escape. Way to teach us all a lesson. Love ya.

Lauren Perry said...

I love the crazy legs!!! I knew Mandy would post about them, lol. You look awesome and CONGRATS!! I would have a hard enough time driving 26.2 miles, lol, let alone running it. You are amazing!

Jess Perry said...

Way to go missy! That is awesome! I agree with Lauren that I do have a hard time driving that far and you ran it! You are incredible...just absolutely incredible.

Becky Johnson said...

Wow Milli...that is absolutely AMAZING!! I want to run a marathon one day, but knowing me (and how out of shape i am) it will prob take me like 5 hours. You had a REALLY good time! Awesome job!

Camille said...

Yay Milli! You are my hero! I think we should train together and do a race in Portland...you love Portland. Tam and Tice..you in?

Aaron and Jessie said...

Millie, I absolutely loved reading about your marathon experience, I can relate in so many ways. Way to go! Maybe you, me and Erin can do a marathon together one of these times. I won't be ready for a while, but someday maybe it'll work. It really is an incredible experience with its ups and downs. I sure am glad you got pictures of a lot of random people in their wierd outfits. I think thats one of my favorite parts about races is the random people all around. I'm glad you commented so I can see what your life in Kansas is like. Loved the post! You go girl!

the murdocks said...

GO MILLI! WOOO! I am so proud of you...especially losing your marathon virginity. I just crave you sometimes. The other day I was thinking of the time you ran the UVSC 5K and you won first place. I'm sure many uvsc-ites were raged. Great pics mill...sure miss ya! hugs

the murdocks said...

Oh...and yes there are fires everywhere! But we are just fine. This week has been way better. Last week was inasne...it was raining ashes everywhere and we didn't go outside at all cause the smoke was so thick where we were. But now it is better, my heart just breaks for those people who lost their homes...such a sad thing.

Tamara Jacobs said...

Hi Milli! I'm so glad that we found each other's blogs:) That is so awesome that you ran a marathon!! You and your husband are cute...I love your blog. Let's keep in touch!

TC Jolley said...

Did you ever know that your my hero? Your everything I wish I could be. And I could fly higher than an Eagle, for you are the wind beneath my wings... oh the wind beneath my wings... fly... fly! LOVE YOU.

Jennica said...

it's long lost "crazy driver" jen. yes, i know how you really feel about how i used to drive. anyways.... that's a great time for your first marathon, and i love to check in on your blog. you are so funny! when did your naming things all start? anyways, you and your hubbie are cute, and i'm impressed at how adventurous you seem to be. tell your fam hi.