Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Back to Business

It felt good getting that last post off of my chest, but back to business as usual.

Business item #1

Temple

Kansas City got a temple! 

I'm from Utah, where there are tons of temples. I've always respected and appreciated temples, but I think I took them for granted. The closest temple to us is about 2 1/2 hours away in Omaha. When we found out about 2 years ago that there was going to be a temple built here in Kansas City, we were pretty excited. I had no idea how exciting it would be though. From the very first shovel of dirt that was dug, there has seemed to be a buzz in the air.

One Sunday, when construction was underway, Trav and I decided to go on a drive to see it. We started on the freeway in the general direction and found ourselves lost. He thought I knew where it was and I thought he knew where it was. We were totally annoyed at each other and decided to just drive to church. When we looked up and saw this


Whoa. My heart skipped a beat. At that moment I was so grateful and almost a little emotional to know that we were going to have a temple just minutes away from us!

Months later, we were able to take our kids and friends through the open house of the temple
 Avery thought it was pretty cool. She especially thought it would be fun to run and jump on the alter in the sealing room. Oops!


Since we are on the topic of the KC temple, we may as well discuss the KC temple 5K run that we did last Saturday (did you just see what I did with there... so smooth.)

This was the second year we did it. Trav and the girls joined me this year. I decided this year, that I was going to stop being a show off and that I was going to just stick around with my family. In my head I imagined running hand in hand with Travis as we were pushing the jogging stroller with our girls, running towards the temple in eternal bliss.

Well, it didn't really go as planned.

We started out on our magical journey. Then Brooklyn got cranky. She was crying for the first mile. I decided to pull her out and walk/run with her. She's pretty heavy, so I mostly walked with her. Travis went on ahead of me.
Brooklyn fell asleep on me.
I had to walk the rest of the 2.3 miles with a 22 lb sack of potatoes. 
My time was 53 minutes. PB right here!

  You can't be too mad at the little stink

After our family race, it was time for the kids 100 meter dash.

Avery did awesome! She didn't want to let go of my hand. As long as we beat Jude, her on again off again boyfriend, we were happy!


And I think we did!

And lastly, Travis, you really need to get in front of the camera once in awhile. People are going to think that I am a single mother. He ran the race, took the pics and watched the baby. What a champ!

Business item #2
Father/son church camp out

One of these things is not like the other


That didn't stop Travis from taking Avery to the Father/Son camp out. 

He figures that he will never have a son, so why not take little Doodle? I don't even think they suspected that she didn't have "boy parts."

But they may notice in a couple of years, so sooner or later this tradition has to end.


Uh oh... Probably sooner

Item of business #3
The gun show

Not really a gun show. We went shooting at a range with our friend Orson.

I'd like to tell you that it was awesome. I'd like to tell you that I was a natural shooter. I'd like to tell you that Travis was super hot shooting that gun.

I really would have liked all of those things. But it didn't happen for me because I FORGOT TO BRING MY PURSE (which had my ID, which was required )so the mean lady behind the counter rejected my "A."

We were clear in Independence, so I told the boys to go ahead and shoot, while I went shopping. 

It was a treat window shopping at the dollar store, because again I FORGOT TO BRING MY PURSE and I had no money.

What an adrenaline rush

Item of business #4
Time outs

They have begun for this gal

She is a biter, a hitter, an attacker and a toy stealer and must be punished.

Don't let this face fool you


She is lethal

Those are the items on the agenda for now. Stay tuned for more serious business.




7 comments:

Papa John said...

WOW!!! Very newsy... I got the same my heart skipped a beat too when Kathryn and I saw the temple for the first time as well? So, did Travis finish the race? So, have you been to the Temple yet, at least since the dedication? So yes, it would be very easy to mistake that little face of innocence on Brooklyn with being lethal? We sure miss you and wish you had been here. Now, we are about ready to lose one family back to California...you guys have a great option in Temecula, Cali...check it out!

Unknown said...

That post was pretty entertaining. Milli, you're a warrior princess, carrying Brooklyn on a 5k. How does it feel to be the stronger of the two of you (you and Travis?).

Thanks for letting us catch up with you.

Tam the Gram said...

Love Temples, your temple is beautiful. You experienced true motherhood when you gave up your competitive nature of winning the race to soothe your wee toddler (ok 22 #s). Avery and Jude so cute together!

Tracie said...

Sacrificing your incredible physical prowess for a time out twerp? Now THAT'S a doting mama. (And she's a really cute time out twerp, don't get me wrong.) Dominic is fast on her heels. If I had implemented time out yet, he would be there, um, 90% of the day, the little rascal. AWESOME Temple. Blessing from heaven.

Jen R. said...

Brooklyn's hair is so awesome in that picture.

Mama Kath said...

That face could fool anyone
!! Miss you guys!!

Tice said...

I Left a long message. It was awesome. It didn't post. I give up!