Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A weekend of labor




Ya know, as in Labor weekend fun.

I personally never remember Labor Day. In the past, Travis has usually had to study or work, so I just discounted it as a holiday altogether. So I was taken back when last week, Travis told me he had the whole entire Labor day off and only had to work 4 hours on that Saturday.

What to do... what to do...

We loved Lagoon so much when we were in Utah, so we decided to go to Kansas City's local amusement park, "World's of Fun." And folks, that is exactly what it was...

minus the 30 minutes of torrential rain fall oh and that ten minutes of not knowing where Travis was wasn't a world of fun either, but at least it wasn't Avery this time!

Oh and we are selfish people, we pawned Brooklyn off on our friends so that we both could ride the rides with Avery. Sorry sweet girl.

They had the coolest ball house. Thousands of sponge balls in a room with sponge ball guns. If you ever are mad at your husband, go to that room. You won't be mad for long.

We went for about 5 hours, and that was a perfect amount of time. I will say, Lagoon had better rides for the kids, heck I enjoyed the kiddy rides at Lagoon. The rides at WOF for the kids were a little too young for our adventurous two year old. I hope that didn't come off sounding snobby. We just like scrambling our brain cells as much as possible in the Charles household.

Just ask Avery...

Before looking at these pics, just remember torrential rain fall victims...
Her first Ferris Wheel ride

We decided to be even more selfish so we took Avery home to a babysitter and went back for the nighttime rides.


We found those two weirdos behind us, on the side of the road and thought they could use a night out as well.

We went on 5 roller coasters and couldn't handle it anymore.

And yes, they did scramble our brains.

It was so much fun. I laughed like a little kid the whole entire time.

The highlight of the night was when we got off the Mamba (a freakishly tall roller coaster) we were walking towards the exit when Sarah pointed at a large man walking in front of us. She directed our attention towards his buttocks area. On his nicely clean white shorts there was a skid mark. I tell you, it really was a scary roller coaster. And man who greased himself, sorry I laughed at you, but thank you for helping me get one of the best ab workouts from laughing so hard. I won't forget you.

That adventure was Saturday.

On Sunday, we actually got to stay up late :) We had the Romney's and the Stores over for an intense couple of games of Dominion. The girls dominated... minus me I guess, cause I never pulled out a W. Good job Jen and Chelsea.

On Labor Day we went biking to the nicest trails down south in Overland Park.


It made me miss living in that place. Lots of running memories on those trails.

We went with her


And him


Oh and of course these two as well


We biked for awhile, and then found a fun park and had a picnic.



I laid on a slide and soaked in the sun. It was the most perfect weather.

Then we packed it up and rode back to the car.

These two were spent.



That evening we finished the glorious weekend with a neighborhood BBQ and of course wrapped up the night watching the Bachelor Pad.

What a great weekend.

6 comments:

Papa John said...

What a fun time! Little surprises like that involving Travis' schedule make it all worthwhile...

Tam the Gram said...

I absolutely love all the pictures, glad Travis encluded the entire village, as these peeps have a place in my heart (Hi Chris and Jana). I am going to go out on a limb and say I am all for the "other women", she is healthy and has a place! Brooklyn and Avery have so many looks! I can't wait to see you all!

Tracie said...

I'm bitter.

I wasn't invited.

Next time you go to an amusement park...work on that.

Labor Day....so fun:)

Tice said...

Glad you guys had a great weekend! You both deserve it with all your hard work. And I'm with mom, there are certain "other woman" that can actually benefit you a well! The pics are amazing and your family is beautiful. You'll have to sneak a picture of the man behind the camera one day!

Rachel said...

Oh.... I loved your pictures. Sure do miss Bachlor Pad and game nights with you all. Leif and I laughed over Avery's sad comments. We miss you guys.

The Dumas Family said...

Cute family!!!