Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Close Call

My sister was at the Reno air races this last week with her company. If you haven't been watching the news, a plane crashed into the crowd and killed 9 people.

Obviously my sister is OK. Her box was about 20 feet from where the plane crashed. Luckily TC was out looking for souvenirs at the time the plane crashed. Luckily no one in her box was killed. She said that most people in her company were out wandering as she was because it was the last race of the day and they needed to stretch out their legs. Only 5 out of 20 people were actually in her box. Those 5 people were injured but no one was killed. When TC saw the plane hit, she immediately ran back to her box to search for her friends. She saw a lot of scary things that I won't share on this blog. She noticed the wheel of the plane in the box where she was sitting. It was shocking to hear about.

I know it is cliche to say this, but moments like that make you realize how fragile life really is. My sister could have been taken from us just like that. I was sick and heartbroken all weekend just thinking about this.

Tice, I hope you know how much I love you. You have been the best big sis! I know sometimes I get frustrated because I can't ever get a hold of you, but I will stop cursing your voice mail. I cherish your friendship and I know that you will always take care of me and have my back. I hope you know that I will be the same for you.

Here are some of the pictures recorded from the crash

Right before it hit

When the plane hit the ground
If you look closely, you can see my sister on the right. She is wearing a white shirt and jean shorts with a black purse around her. She said at that moment she was searching for people in her group to see if they were alive or not.
Those red coolers are where she was sitting earlier
This was the pilot, Jimmy Leeward. He was a very experienced pilot. People are speculating that the plane had a major malfunction and that this pilot did everything in his power to avoid the crowd. We are grateful for him.
I know I was thousands of miles away, but this event really affected me. I want to be a better person and I want to be able to express to my loved ones how much I really do love them.

I'm so glad you are OK sister.


4 comments:

McAtee Family said...

Oh my gosh - how scary for her! Glad she is OK. It's sad how it takes something like this for us to remember how lucky we are and to take the time to tell our family that we love them - I wish I could remember to do things like that without a tragedy to remind me. I think I'll go make some calls now.

Brandi Hastings said...

What a sad event, I'm so glad that she is okay! It was a very heart breaking thing to watch on the news. Between the KC Air Show crash and the Reno one, I think I may avoid air shows. I will watch from a distance :)

Allie said...

Oh my, how crazy! Glad she is ok!!

Tice said...

Mill, I am amazed at how much you researched this crash. I know you probably felt it was all you could do. There are a million pictures out there right now and you found me in this picture before I even realized I was in it. Believe me, I can tell you care, and even with all the cursing voicemails you leave me, I know you love me! I love you too and as I have watched you become a wife and a mom I have really grown to admire you. You are my BFF not just my sis. Thanks for loving me. Keep your phone close, I've heard "it's all gonna hit you TC, the reality is going to catch up"... that doesn't sound pretty, I'll need some numbers I can call in the middle of the night!