Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cruisin'

Since the first year of medical school, we have been talking about going on a cruise with our close friends who are in Trav's class. Four years later, we stuck to our guns and we will be going on a Southern Caribbean cruise. I CANNOT wait! Since our husbands thrive off studying and learning (yeah right!) we decided it would be a fun idea to each do a presentation on one of the islands we are visiting. I felt like I was in school again, because I totally left my assignment for the last minute and was sweating bullets trying to get it ready. But then, the night it was due, Jim had to go and burn his hand off (he was making Aruban fries for us, he got 3rd degree burns and had to get skin grafts) and so we had to push it back a day (sorry about your hand Jim, but thanks for the extra breathing room).

We first started at the Hastings house. Brandi made frog legs, seriously. They tasted kind of like chicken, but more rubbery.



They also had strawberry soup, the "dangerous" fries from Aruba and some mango.












Then we headed off to the Orson's house. Since we are only going to 5 islands and we have 6 people, we decided it would make perfect sense to assign someone a report on pirates, since most likely we will be attacked by them. It would also make perfect sense to give Orson that topic because he is a little obsessed with pirates.
See?
He gave us a pop quiz, and I aced it and he made me his pirate assistant. I was in Heaven!

Alisha made a Blue Curacao drink... minus the hard stuff of course!

She also made us iguana/kangaroo soup. This one really tasted like chicken (because it was!)

Then last but not least, we went to our house. I did my presentation on my homeland, Puerto Rico. Really, it is my homeland, I am 1/4 Puerto Rican. Don't mock me because I am pasty and have freckles. I made my Grandma's famous chicken and Spanish rice dish
For Travis's authentic dish, he made a "better than sex" cake. His island was the Virgin Islands... get it! Funny Trav


I'm so happy that we will all be well educated for our cruise. It will come in really handy while we are lying on a towel on the beach catching some rays! Can't wait!!!

3 comments:

Papa John said...

Again, what a group of families you all have there...the pirate guy really got into it! 3rd degree burn sounds like an over the top investment?

Quela said...

Ooooo, you're gonna have so much fun!!! Wish I could go back again!

Cynthia and Bryan said...

how fun ?! that was so creative and fun !! great job !