Thursday, February 14, 2008

Work It Part II

I don't know what it is but I have had another crazy work experience. I don't think this story is as traumatic as the first one, but I had to share (sorry if you have already heard it.)
Another duty I have at work is that I get to draw blood on patients. I LOVE this part of my job. Ask my college roommates, they think I am so weird, but sometimes I would make Denae (who worked in a hospital and also we took a medical assisting course together in high school) steal a couple of needles for me. No, not to shoot up with, but to practice sticking each other. Don't knock it till you try it, there is some sort of weird adrenaline rush with being able to do this. Anyway...
So on my schedule is a new patient who hadn't started doing our program yet (hence being very overweight and on the old side... no offense if you are either one of these conditions). She needs to have lab done but before this I talk to her more about the program and she seems like a decently nice person. I take her into the lab and take a look at her veins. She has no visible or feelable veins in her arms, so I look at the hand. Oh... she has the old lady roly-poly huge hand veins. These kind of veins can either be your best friend or your worst nightmare. For me, they were my worst nightmare. I stick the needle in her hand and as soon as I did, her vein rolled over to Texas, there was no way I was digging that far to try to find it. I apologized and explained what happened. She wasn't too amused, but she said, just do my other hand, she was still pretty lucid at this point but starting to breath in a deep way. I try the other hand and the same exact thing happened. I have to make a small disclaimer that no matter how good you are at sticking, sometimes you just can't get it, and with her I just couldn't. I have a policy with my patients, it is two and out, if I ever miss more than twice I will not try again, and will get someone else to do it.
Back to the story... so she sees that I can't get the vein. At this point I again apologize and start to say that I will grab someone else to do it. Before I can utter these words out, she starts breathing were-wolf heavy. She says to me, "is there someone competent here that can get my blood?" Ouch. I already feel dumb that I have missed now you are going below the belt. I wanted to say "sorry that you have fat old lady gross veins", but instead I try to calm her down. I ask her if I can get her some water and if she is ok, etc. She ignores me then starts with the weird heavy breathing again and tears are coming and she says "you are pathetic, my primary care always gets me on the first stick" mind you that this isn't in a mild tone, she is yelling at this time. I seriously wanted to grab a needle and stab it through her hand at this point but instead I left the room to grab Dwight for some help. He, along with the whole office could hear what was going on. He had already started to make his way in to save the day. I caught him in the hall and told him what had happened and that she is freaking out! Then from the end of the hall we hear this non-human cry shouting "$*%-Damn her... my hands!" ... Whoa! Okay, I will be honest, yes it hurts to get poked by a needle, but from the way she was acting, I couldn't tell if I missed her vein or if I killed her only son. She was crazy!!!
I decided not to show myself at the crime scene. I let Dwight take care of it. I did hear from him that she is never going to let me touch her again. I'm ok with that. Infact I don't really want to ever see her again.
This experience hasn't scarred my love of drawing blood, infact I had another "stick" I had to do about an hour later and was successful. I just think it is so weird how some people react and treat others. This incident has actually made me want to be a better person. I will never ever treat a human being the way she did, no matter what... ... I guess unless they have killed my only son that is.

28 comments:

JC said...

I had a lady stick me in the arm once to try and draw blood. She missed my very visible and obvious vein (she's the only one to ever miss too) and instead of pulling the needle out and trying again, she started digging around with the needle in my arm. Uh...hello?! I told her to take it out and try the other arm. Crazy lady. Left a huge bruise.

swampbaby said...

You are brave. The only needle I've ever stuck in someone was my friend who needed to give herself an allergy shot on the top of her butt! I, unfortunately, have been the recipient of very painful blood-drawing incidences, but will say that I never freaked out on anyone.

Allie said...

Way to go, Millhouse. Keep up with these stories, please. I honestly live for them.
Also, it brought back a fun memory of when Stacie's boss at Great Harvest said "Damn it, Stacie. This is going to cost me fifty bucks" when she jammed a big bowl in the fresh paint. I love the word Damn.

Shelley said...

Yikes. When I had Bryson, I got stuck 9 times before they finally called the Anesthesiologist to come in. I have rolly polly veins too, but I'm happy to report that unlike this wacko I didn't even say one rude thing to the nurse, the 2nd nurse, or even the head nurse (all who were trying.....). Sorry she was so mean, I think you are a great blood draw-er!

TC Jolley said...

Muahhhhhh!!!!!

Sarah Oman said...

Great! Now I'm going to have nightmares about a large (wherewolf)heavy breathing woman, chasing me around; yelling profanities at me. Thanks a lot Milli. :)

Unknown said...

hi,
i'm a different shelley than your friend who just commented - you don't know me. i'm a friend of kate walker's sister - that's how i found your blog.
i'm trying to make my blog cuter and i love your template and picture for your title. how did you do it? do you mind emailing me with some instructions so i can do something similar?
my email is bloggershelley@gmail.com. thanks for your help!

suzanne campbell said...

I love the new lay out and I am so sorry that you were treated that way. I have the best veins ever the nurses love me Ha Ha Suzanne

Lauren Perry said...

Milli- I would let you "poke" me any day....wait...that sounds dirty....lol. Well I am SCARED to death of needles, but for you, I would let you draw my blood :)

Jess Perry said...

you can poke me any day. Needles used to freak me out but I was cured of that from having two kids. Now I just hate it when they get poked!!

the murdocks said...

HAHHAHAHHAH Oh my gosh Milli...I actually just felt uncomfortable for you. I hate situations like that. I would've kicked her in the shin...she's just jealous cause you are pretty :) But that's funny I read that cause I just had my blood drawn today. Have you ever given the butt shot? That one kills like a mother...

Cody and Nikell said...

This reminds me of when I worked at the hospital. People are MEAN and the irrational behavior never ends! Our husbands are in for it!

We do need to get together. We'll have you guys over soon!

Anika said...

Milli- You need to be a writer... you are hilarious! I can never get my blood drawn. I have tiny veins... and I bruise easily. Whenever I get blood drawn, my arm bruises so bad that I look like a drug addict!

Julie said...

Hi Milli, that is so funny because I have been blogstalking you. You are hilarious. I would love to keep in touch with you!

Tamara Jacobs said...

Milli I love your stories! Todd gets a rush out of drawing blood too. He was a phlebotemist forever, and like on our 2nd date he asked if he could draw my blood just for fun...I was thinking, "is this guy crazy or what?!" I think you blood drawers are super brave! We are moving out there probably the last week in July. Did you guys rent a uhaul to move? That's what we are thinkin...I'll have to email you with lots of questions:)

La said...

i would have kicked her big bum. really. and then i probably would have cried. we miss you guys a lot. when will you be back west??

TC Jolley said...

Milli, tell Nikki to invite me to her blog. Has Becky invited you? If she doesn't have a blog then I want her myspace. Gracias... YOUR HOT!

Crystal said...

love the great stories!

Brandi Hastings said...

WOW~ your work keeps you on your toes! Don't know why you would EVER want to leave there.... EXCEPT TO MOVE ACROSS FROM MEEEEE! Needles freak me out! I've had two kids and that proves that needles will ultimately haunt me for the rest of my life! Poor Milli, people like that need to be told off every once in a while!
See you tomorrow night!

Kate said...

Milli Vanilli -- the paint in Riley's room is some Behr color from Home Depot. Her room is so cute -- it has bright magenta that you can't see too. So, when you are ready I can get the name of the paint if you really want. Let me know!

Tracie said...

Yeah, so that lady probably has some severe (psycho)logial problems. Way to STICK in there, Milli. tee hee...And I am a little disturbed with your fascination with sticking yourself. Are you sure your not a vampire?

Stephanie said...

Haha Millie, you are so funny! It sounds like you have all sorts of crazy stories where you work. Whenever I get my blood drawn, I can't look and I cringe the whole time. You are so brave! Please continue to spy on us. I was definitely planning on continuing my stalking as well. I look forward to another hilarious post from you.

Erin Bradley said...

Hey Milli- k you are hilarious! I was so excited you found me on this crazy blog thing. You guys are so cute and it is so fun to see what you are up to. I swear some of my favorite memories are at your parents house. You and Tice are so fun! Keep in touch.

Natalie said...

I love it. I have a gigantic vein in my arm that the lab people always love, so I never have any problems. I do have to admit that I would love to become a phlebotomist, I could totally stick people. I know I never see you. It's probably because we're always late to church and then after sacrament I have to dash to primary. I was kind of glad when they cancelled last week, it was like a little vacation from sunbeams. I think they will probably keep me in Primary forever though. I will try to find you next sunday.

Anonymous said...

So I remembered my old email fom elementary just so i could comment I think that is funny I love you And email me sometime
Sadie

Tam the Gram said...

I love giving shots too. I can't believe how funny that incident was. You have all the fun at work!
This old fat woman obviously was as scared of needles and shots and aunt sher is of snakes!

Unknown said...

Wow you have a lot of friends! Just think - for every rude old miserable fat lady, there are at least 28 friends who love you!

Tamara Jacobs said...

I TAG YOU! Look at my blog to see:)