Friday, April 6, 2012

The Change

I needed a change in my house. I didn't want to paint. I didn't want to spend. I didn't want it to take all of my time. 

I wanted to have my cake and eat it too OK. 

And I kind of did. 

My brilliant friend, Angela, came up with a "get it done" group. This group of eight women get together 2 times a month and we get it done at one of the eight's home. When it is your turn, you get 3 hours straight of ordering around. We clean, we organize, we paint, we garden. We do it all. 

So I decided to put them to work on redecorating my front room.

I did all the planning and prepping, and when they arrived; they sewed curtains, sewed pillows, hung pictures, gave input, sawed, etc.
Here are the results

Before
After 
I HATED this part of my house. Everyone would always put their crap on the piano, because it was the first flat surface you see when you enter the house. I also hated the huge awkward shelf with all the nasty cords running down. My friend Tara and I had to figure out how to use a power saw. It was scary. But I am proud to say I have all 10 fingers after. We cut that nasty shelf just big enough to hold the speakers and we lowered it.

Before
After
 I added blue to the big red room

Before (sorry its dark)
After
I didn't want to buy new curtains, so we just added an accent color to the red.

Before
 After
Thank you Pinterest
 I don't have a before pic, but just imagine a nasty wicker basket with about 67 pairs of shoes in it in the spot of the bins.

Yes, another Pinterest invention... I have no mind anymore.

And here are the pillows we sewed

These shelves were originally black, but I spray painted them and found most of these trinkets at the thrift store or made them

And this is now our new and improved living room.


There was no painting, no furniture arranging, a small amount of whining (on my part) and one happy customer! 

Sometimes living on a budget makes me feel like I'm being held back and even a little ghetto, but it makes me have to get creative; which is a good lesson in life. 

But I'm not going to lie.  Money could buy my happiness :) Ha!

11 comments:

Papa John said...

Very creative and nice, especially the BLUE accents! Great idea of forming this neighborhood group. Does one person babysit while the others get creative for three hours?

Mama Kath said...

WOW!!! It looks great...can't wait to see it in person!

Tracie said...

Lovely lovely.

Tice said...

I love it Mimi! I want to be in your group so I can learn new things! Guess you'll have to teach me yourself! I miss you my beautiful sister.

Allie said...

I need to decorate my home. I love it!

Tam the Gram said...

Does you group travel? I will even tend the kids!
I really love that 5 picture picture! Nice job, does you group have a catchy name?

Tam the Gram said...

The living room looks beautiful!

Tracie said...

Before I read this blog entry, I though you were talking about going through early menopause. And the vertical frame rocks. I also dig the colors. Good work.

Amy said...

I love it Millie! It is so cute! I love the colors! Way to go you and "the group"! :)

Kimberly said...

It looks so cute! You guys did a good job! I miss KC!

Rachel said...

I love the blue. Such a great idea. I think it looks great. Now I am gong to go fix up my frount room.