Sunday, May 3, 2009

Feast

Sometimes blogging is feast or famine. There is usually not too much going on and I have to really think hard about what to post. Warm weather brings many festivities and I'm having a hard time picking and choosing what to write about. Well, I'm just going to do one ginormous post about them all. I justify not journaling by making a book out of this blog every year, so that means I have to include all important things so that my posterity will know that we lived fairly decent and exciting lives. That was your warning.
Travis's "rotation"
I guess this is what you do on your "medical rotations" these days. Trav was lucky enough to rotate with a doctor who is lucky enough to afford a small airplane. He took Travis and the other med student up one day. I prayed really hard that they wouldn't die. Apparently a couple of months ago, the doctor forgot to land with his landing gear and landed with just the belly of the plane. Hmmm.... made me a little nervous, but he remembered this time and they didn't die and Travis had fun.
The Doctor
The View
It makes me think that one day after all the whopping student loans are paid off, and all the other bills, that we could possibly afford a small plane? I think I'd rather have a nice house boat in Lake Powell with a sweet speed boat. Maybe we should just focus on getting past being poor for now.
Cinco de Mustache

Since we are clearly Hispanic, we decided to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Hey, I really am a quarter Puerto Rican, but I guess that has nothing to do with Mexico. I'm sure some Mexicans celebrate the 4Th of July so I can justify celebrating their holiday. Oh how we long for Cafe Rio out in these parts. For those of you who don't know what Cafe Rio is, it is kind of like a Chipotle but 100, that's right 100 times better. My friend Krista got her hands on some of their recipes. So we attempted to make Cafe Rio pork and rice and all that other good stuff. I feel we did Cafe Rio and for that matter, Mexico, justice that day as the food was amazing! Along with the great food, we had a mustache shaping contest. No I did not participate, but Travis did. The boys grew out their 'staches for a week or so. I couldn't wait till the day came because I felt like I was living in a neighborhood full of molesters. The contest included two categories; best shaped mustache and best attempt. Guess who won?
Trent (guy in blue) won for best shape, and poor Chris (guy with yarn mustache) won for best attempt.
Family Photo
This man is the love of my life?
Starting Young
It was the most beautiful day, so Travis came home from his "rotation" (see above) and declared it a Royals night. No, not red carpet or black tie affair, the Kansas City Royals baseball game. I was a little skeptical to go because Avery goes to sleep at 7 pm and the game started at 7 pm and the gal loves her sleep and will bark at you if she isn't getting it. We went anyway, with Chris our yarn mustache wearing neighbor (again see above). She was actually an angel. Fortunately she took a snooze in the fifth inning and I think that saved us. And the Royals actually won... even killed the Mariners. It was a really fun action packed game.
I had to put a bow on her so people didn't think she was a boy.



Nap Time
Thanks for making me go Trav. I never wanted to be the type of person to stop doing fun things just because I had kids. That is a lot easier said than done. I wasn't that thrilled to go to the game. But it was fun and worth it and made me remember my goal of "being cool" even after kids (was I cool before kids?)
Inaugural Mother's Day
What a glorious day? Who invented it? I told Trav all I wanted for Mother's day was a clean house. Instead he got me a bike! Actually, Avery got me the bike. OK he won, I think I was just being a martyr about the clean house thing. I was thrilled and shocked. I kind of just started biking and now I'm excited to really get into it. He even got me biking gloves, a bike speedometer and a water bottle holder. What the heck is he going to do for next year... even worse what the heck am I going to do for Father's day? I loved my first mother's day. I got breakfast and dinner made for me, special treatment, nice text messages and of course the best gift is just having my healthy baby girl, not to mention her cute and thoughtful dadda. Sorry, this is getting cheesy. Here is the bike.



I also wanted to mention my cute mom. She is the nicest and sweetest person. She will always have a good conversation with any one and ask the most random questions. She thinks everything is "interesting." She loves to learn. She loves being a grandma. She just graduated this last week from the University of Utah in Psychology. She had a 3.9 GPA and was the teacher's pet. We give her a hard time a lot because she studies like a loon, but she really worked hard and we are so proud of you. Love you mom.




And I wanted to mention what a great mother-in-law I have. Kathryn is such a good grandma. She is always the first to volunteer to watch all 6 grand kids, all at the same time. Scary! She is always wanting to be with her grand kids. She is an amazing cook and gives really great advice!

Whew... that was long but now my great-great grand kids will know that their great great grandpa can grow a sweet mustache. Things have been really fun lately. This is the best time to live in Missouri right now, minus the crazy tornados, but as long as your not in their way life is good right now.

7 comments:

Andrus Family said...

Mil, did you cut your hair? It looks really cute!! Love the mustache pics.

suzanne campbell said...

It is so fun to read about your life. Your hair does look great and I am so glad your mothers day was great. Avery is beautiful hope to see you in utah next time you are hear. aybe one day they will let your mom and dad back in the ward I wonder what they did to be kept out so long haha love Suzanne

Laura said...

I love the super long update and pictures. Keep them coming Milster!

John and Erin said...

We are so meant to be. I bought a bike last week too. Moab didn't get the best of us. I'm glad we finally can both get back on the bike. What an awesome gift! Good luck with Fathers day. We need to go biking together. We just need to move a little closer to eachother first. Small problem.

Papa John said...

The "stach's" are cute. Milli is Charlie Chaplin, and Trav is a look a like to that guy from Germany that wanted to rule the world...both of you need to go clean shaven, like your darling daughter...

brandonandlexee said...

You and your friends do some goofy things...dang funny though. That's hilarious! Brandon would be the one with the strings hanging down. He tried to grow a stache a few years ago and it was the worst thing I've ever seen:) Great job on your triathalon...thats amazing!!!

Mama Kath said...

Thanks sweet girl!!!