Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Great Outdoors

We went on our second annual camping trip down south near Branson, MO (where all the old people flock to... no offense Travis's parents, I know you enjoyed it). We went with Jim and Brandi Hastings for the second year in a row.
Probably the funniest/most frustrating part of the trip was when we found out that Brandi's mom had a fishing boat she said she would let us borrow. She had never used the boat and it had been sitting outside for years, but hey, we were going to save 65 bucks, so we didn't care. We thought the fixing up job would be pretty easy, 3 hours later we realized we were wrong. First of all it was covered in green mildewy water. The boys had to tip it over and let it drain, the girls just encouraged the boys from a distance. Secondly the trailer we were going to use had bad tires. We took it to a tire shop and bought new tires. Thirdly, we realized that the lights on the trailer weren't working because the hookup wasn't the right size; so we had to go to the store again and buy the right cord. Fourthly, we had to run it through the car wash to get the nasty out of it. Fifthly, we had to go and buy gasoline and oil and fishing licenses. At one point, the boys realized that there was a lot of water in the inside of the boat. Hmmmmm... was it going to float or not? This didn't stop us, we invested way too much time to quit. When we finally got to Branson the boys tipped to boat over to let the inside drain for the night. The next day was the big test.

The sea was angry that day my friends... just kidding, it was a beautiful day. We got in the boat and it didn't sink. The sticker on the boat mentioned that it had a 410 pound limit, we were silly to even consider all four of us in the boat, but we are poor med school students, and we were going to get our money's worth on this trip. We all fit in the boat even though if one person moved an inch the boat would sway heavily. We were pretty stoked when the engine worked too. We set off for an amazing fishing adventure and we came back with... .... .... absolutely no fish. Maybe next year! Here is the rest of our trip!


Oh and earlier that week we went to our first official royals game of the season.

Two stadium tickets: $18



Parking in Kaufman stadium: $9


Hot dogs: $12


Sneaking down to the $40 seats and only getting busted once: Priceless



Oh and the Royals beat the Tigers... boo yeah!

One last thing... we had our first ultra sound to see if Spud is indeed a Spud or a Spudette, and the verdict is... Spud is very shy! We will have to wait a couple more weeks!

20 comments:

Natalie said...

How fun! You are tooo funny! I love reading your posts. I can't wait to hear what you are having!! With our little girl, we had 4 Ultra Sounds before we saw for sure what she was. Good luck with the next one, hopefully it won't take that many times for you.

Allie said...

Spud i shy? Clearly doesn't take after its mom...
I am so blasting excited for you to come to town! Wingers has our names written all over it!
I loved going to the royals game when we came to visit you in KC. Best part, losing 12 pounds from sweating so much. I can't believe how hot that was!!

Anika said...

Milli- you are so funny! I'm glad you didn't sink, and it looks like you had a lot of fun! I'm jealous about the MLB game... never been to one!

Lauren Perry said...

How freaking fun! I miss the good old days of having the freedom to just do little fun trip like that :) I cant wait to find out what spud is :) You better text me when you find out, or I will fly out there are smack you....ok maybe not- but I will be really bummed out! Pleeeeease come to Utah soon! You have family here and they feel neglected without you visiting! Cannon thinks that you hate him and his mommy- because you never come and see us ;)

Susan said...

Looked like a fun trip! Probably a nice break, too, before Travis starts hunkering down for boards. Hopefully next time spud(ette) won't be shy. :)

TC Jolley said...

Oh Spud, I'm so excited to find out what you are so I can BUY YOU STUFF!... don't tell your uncle Jon though! Fun camping trip, I try to like camping but I just don't! Maybe you can change me! Love you guys... spud, you'd better cooperate when I see you in June! See you in 2 freakin' days... YIPEE!

Cynthia and Bryan said...

Sounds like you guys are enjoying yourselves !! Well you see the trick to having healthy babies (according to the BYU softball team) is to put on at least 55 lbs ! Ha ! We all have done it. I am anxious for the post that will let us know what you are having !

Cynthia and Bryan said...

Oh - and based on the shyness...I guess girl!

The Dumas Family said...

I was thinking that your hubby should transfer schools so the home-town team is kind of good - perhaps Atlanta?!? :0) I told Kels you were expecting and just so you're a little prepared, she was a little surprised that you didn't mention it when you talked last. She'll be calling you. I gave her your blog address as well. I hope you're still feeling well. You look great pregnant. You're one of THOSE women, and I don't care for them. We can be friends after you have your baby, I guess.

La said...

Eden wasn't shy at all and you remember how long it took to get a good shot of Charlie's goods. Hopefully you won't have to go to a perinatalogist just to find out the he/she question. Wish we could hang out.

Jill said...

Oh how I love Millie Jones!...uh Charles. Sounds like a fun trip! I'm predicting a girl just so you know. I'm a little psychic if you remember. I really wish you lived here. I think we'd have FUN!!! You're a funny girl!

Quela said...

Are you sure this baby is yours???
I've never known you to be a shy one.
Oh, and it cracks me up that you took a picture of each of your meals. Only you.

Sounds like you're having a blast, Can't wait to hear what your having. My guess is a girl too. I think if it was a boy, he would have shown himself by now. We'll see...

Crystal said...

How fun sounds like an adventure. its a good thing you didnt sink in that boat!!

Tracie said...

Please tell me my sister in law is not going to be in Utah, and not let me see her. Say it ain't so. I'm hurt.

Daisie said...

Hey Milli! Looks like a fun adventure!! And how fun the first Royals game of the season! I am happy we will get back to come sweat our guts out with you guys at a game!! Can't wait to hear about SPUD!! Good luck on the next one!!! Miss ya tons!!!

Andrus Family said...

You know that deep down you secretly love Branson! And your Seinfeld quote is from my favorite episode - is that a Titleist? Can't wait to hear what you're having.

Jess Perry said...

Trent is way jealous about the baseball game. And I am glad you had fun!! When do you find out what you are having? Let's see some bump pics!

Jess Perry said...

I meant...why do they have to wait a few weeks...tell them now! I think you are having a little boy!

Isaac Family said...

Milli you absolutely crack me up! I love to hear that you went fishing because I love fishing! Bummer to pay for the license though. Anyway, can't wait to hear what you're having. It's so much fun! I'm eleven weeks by the way. And there really must be something in the water because what a surprise this was!!!

Tam the Gram said...

It was great to have you home for the weekend. Glad your move went good, you have been busy, can't wait to come out to see you new place and find out if we are having a Spud or Spudette!